Wednesday 3 July 2013

Adventures at 70m

A couple of weeks ago I decided to  increase the draw weight by winding in the limb bolts from the minimum setting that I had been using since March.  Since then I have not scored any rounds, but spent a few sessions on the practice range trying to improve my draw and release technique, and to get used to the increased poundage.  Music concerts, illness and family holidays also conspired to see me at the club less than I would have otherwise been.

Last night I decided to be adventurous and attempt 70m for the first time, shooting a FITA 70 round.  This was not an altogether rash decision, as I had already shot 60m with the lighter settings, so I was sure that I would be able to at least reach the target.  For the first couple of arrows I got Mrs EA to check where they were landing, and found that I needed to move my sight right in to the riser and on the very lowest vertical setting before I hit the target reliably.

When I say 'reliably', that is overstretching the truth a tad; the scoresheet appears to tell a different story:

Dozen 1 : 2 hits, score 7
Dozen 2 : 6 hits, score 28 [vast improvement]
Dozen 3 : 8 hits, score 30 [even better...]
Dozen 4 : 4 hits, score 19 [hmmmm....]
Dozen 5 : 7 hits, score 31 [bouncing back...]
Dozen 6 : 7 hits, score 28 [getting dark]

Total 143 (62 handicap)

So I scored with less than 50% of my arrows, and most of my misses were low.  In fact I didn't manage any degree of consistency throughout the round and cannot say that I had a 'group' of arrows at any time.  It is fairly clear that I am pushing the capabilities of my current equipment at this distance and I suspect that, at the speed they are travelling, my arrows are much more susceptible to the wind than some thinner, faster arrows. I conclude that the type of arrow and draw I am using and my current draw weight are not really suited to much over 50m, so I will be sticking to shorter distances for the foreseeable future.  It is tempting to rush out and buy some heavier limbs and 'better' arrows to make things a little easier, but then I remember that I have only been at this game for four months and can probably gain more by developing my technique at the shorter distances with my current equipment.  I suspect that this kit will see me to the end of this outdoor season and through the winter indoor season, when I hope to be able to do justice to any upgraded kit.

But it was worth trying!

1 comment:

  1. If you're still shooting 26lb limbs and aluminium arrows, you're doing well to reach 70m at all. You don't have to shoot that distance until you are aiming for 1st class, so I think you've got the right idea in concentrating on the shorter distances. Personally I didn't switch to carbon arrows until I was going for first class, and I upped my limbs to 36 at the same time. That still didn't let me reach 90m, but that's another story :)

    ReplyDelete